Lesson: Perfect Day Poem Collage
August is Imagination + Mixed Media Month at Arts For Life! This lesson combines both themes perfectly in one project: a collage-poem depicting the artist’s idea of a perfect day.
- To encourage creative thinking through imagining the perfect day.
- To learn about writing poetry.
- To learn mixed media techniques through combining poetry and collage.
- A variety of pattern paper
- 1 piece of white cardstock
- Glue stick
- Sharpie (black or any color)
- Brainstorm about what your perfect day would be like. Brainstorm specific details (what it looks like, what it smells like, what it feels like, etc.). Write down any words that come to mind.
- Begin your poem by completing the following sentence: “The perfect day for me would be…”
- Write as many lines to the poem as needed until it feels finished.
- Based on what the poem is describing, select different pattern paper to cut out shapes that illustrate the poem.
- Glue the pattern paper shapes onto the cardstock to create a collage.
- After the collage is complete, use the Sharpie to write the poem anywhere on the collage to combine the poem with the illustration.
- Pick a different poem topic: My favorite person… My best friend… My favorite pet…
- Make affirmation collages: Create a collage that reflects inspiration and positivity and write affirmations on the collage.
- Writer’s block? Simply create a perfect day collage!
Photos: Journi’s “Perfect Day” collage (top); example collage-poem by Sarah Ness
© 2015 Arts For Life