NOW HIRING! Music Teacher, Winston-Salem
Arts For Life (AFL), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization headquartered in Asheville, NC, is currently seeking a Music Teacher who will be responsible for designing and delivering high-quality and engaging music opportunities to patients and families within a hospital setting at Brenner Children’s Hospital in Winston-Salem.
About the Organization
Arts For Life is dedicated to supporting pediatric patients and families through arts education and engagement. By providing educational arts programs, AFL enriches patients’ lives, nurtures their minds and spirits, and encourages positive healthcare experiences for children and their families. AFL currently serves children and their families in three chapter communities across North Carolina (Asheville, Charlotte, and Winston-Salem).
Arts For Life’s organizational values are creativity, compassion, learning, collaboration, and inclusion. Its organizational culture can be described as empowering and supportive, with a strong focus on its mission and clients.
This position is part-time and non-exempt with the rare possibility for occasional evenings or weekends for special events. Hourly rate is $23/hr, 6 hrs/week. The Music Teacher works primarily in a hospital/clinic setting on-site at Brenner Children’s Hospital. There may be occasional opportunities to attend meetings remotely.
The Music Teacher is responsible for designing and delivering high-quality and engaging music opportunities to patients and families within a hospital setting at Brenner Children’s Hospital in Winston-Salem. This position reports to the Winston Salem Program Director. The Music Teacher works with on-site hospital/clinic staff and occasionally collaborates with Arts For Life staff in other chapters.
- High school diploma and at least 3 years experience teaching music to youth and young adults
- Extremely strong preference for a high level of proficiency in guitar, ukulele and percussion
- High comfort level in voice and songwriting
Due to Arts For Life and hospital partner requirements, this position also requires up-to-date immunizations—including COVID-19—and annual flu shots.
This position is subject to the successful completion of an employment background check. An employment background check can include a criminal background check, employment verification, reference checks, license verification, academic verification, and credit history check (if applicable).
- Send the following as a PDF (preferably in a single file) via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover Letter
- Three references – include email address and phone number
- Written responses to the following – 120 words maximum per question
- Share a story about how the arts have impacted you.
- Which of AFL’s organizational values resonates most with you? Why?
- Which element of AFL’s programming do you have the most experience with – the arts, children/families or the medical setting?
- Which element of programming do you have the least experience with?
Please, no phone calls.
Application deadline: October 8, 2023, at 11:59 PM
Full job description can be found here.
Inclusion is a core value of Arts For Life. In our hospitals and clinic programs, everyone is welcome at the art table. These beliefs and practices carry over to our workspace and hiring process. Arts For Life is committed to equality of employment and does not discriminate against applicants or employees based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, cultural background, socioeconomic status, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability or diagnosis, genetic information, or veteran status. Moreover, Arts For Life is committed to recruiting a broadly diverse pool of qualified candidates for this position