Lesson: Love Monster Puppets
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and a love monster makes a perfect valentine—one that can be enjoyed long after the holiday has passed! This lesson will help you tap into your imagination to create a love-filled, interactive puppet.
- To create an interactive puppet
- To practice bringing several parts together to make an imaginary creature
- A paper bag
- Various strips of paper for antennae, arms, and/or legs
- Precut head, ears, eyes, teeth, mouth, and belly: precut or punched circles, hearts, and other shapes
- Anything else YOUR monster needs
- Start by gluing down the base layers: head, mouth, teeth, and belly. Be sure to glue the teeth to the inside of the fold of the bag so that they will move with the puppet’s mouth.
- For the rest of the parts, there is NO wrong way to glue them down! Do you have a one-eyed monster? Heart nose? Ears or horns? Will you use the paper strips to make antennae, arms, or legs? Make your monster your own: Just make sure to add an extra splash of LOVE!
- You can stop here, or to turn your puppet into a valentine, add a special message to your puppet’s belly or back, or slip a card inside.
- To simplify for your young artist(s), pre-glue the base layers (head, mouth, teeth, and belly) so they will only have to add their flair.
- To simplify more, just have them color the details.
© 2015 Arts For Life