DUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC, SUMMER 2020 INTERNSHIPS AND INTENSIVE VOLUNTEER POSITIONS IN ALL CHAPTERS ARE CANCELLED.
THE VIABILITY OF FALL 2020 INTERNSHIPS IS STILL BEING DETERMINED.
To check on the status of the program in a specific chapter, please reach out to the chapter Program Director.
(contact information is listed below)
To be considered for an internship/ intensive volunteer position, please email a cover letter, resume, and three references (with email addresses) — all in one single PDF file — to the Program Director in your preferred chapter (see below).
Use the subject line “Summer-” or “Academic Year Application”
UPDATED Due Dates for FALL 2020*
Arts For Life @ Duke Children’s Hospital,
DURHAM: JULY 1ST, 2020
Arts For Life @ Brenner Children’s Hospital,
WINSTON-SALEM: JULY 1ST, 2020
Arts For Life @ Levine Children’s,
CHARLOTTE: JULY 15TH, 2020
Arts For Life @ Mission Children’s Hospital,
ASHEVILLE: JULY 15TH, 2020
*ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS ARE
DUE BY 5PM ON GIVEN DATE.
All Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
University students, graduates, post-graduates, and non-traditional applicants are encouraged to apply.
For Academic Year internships, priority will be given to applicants who dedicate 2 full semesters.
Asheville / Mission Children’s Hospital / Annie Rogers / firstname.lastname@example.org
Charlotte / Levine Children’s Hospital / Sarah Ness / email@example.com
Durham / Duke Children’s Hospital & Health Center / Alison Griffin / firstname.lastname@example.org
Winston-Salem / Brenner Children’s Hospital / Betsey McLawhorn / email@example.com
Winston-Salem ONLY: Interns who would like to earn academic credit are required to cover the cost of their background check + health screenings. This can range from $95 – $400 (over $100 if you’ve had residency in multiple states or have multiple/married names). Arts For Life is happy to subsidize these costs for Pell Grant-eligible students; must present documentation.
Durham ONLY: University students must have completed their freshman year to apply. A full Academic-Year commitment is required.
About Internships & Intensive Volunteer Positions
Summer interns/ intensive volunteers dedicate
up to 20 hours per week for 12 weeks (May-August)
Academic year interns/ intensive volunteers dedicate
up to 15 hours per week for at least one academic semester.
Interns and intensive volunteers:
- gain hands-on experience teaching pediatric patients and family members of all ages and abilities at our Art Tables and Bedside Studios.
- are regularly included in curriculum support, community outreach, lesson preparation, art kit development, and facilitating special events and workshops.
- receive direct, proactive support from experienced Arts For Life staff.
- are trained extensively and evaluated regularly, and leave our programs with the skills necessary to thrive in a wide variety of educational and professional settings.
- are a vital part of our programs. Interns help us to provide thousands of additional hours of active arts engagement to our young artists across the state.