C R E A T E: Silly Creature Heads
It’s summer time! That means it’s time to let loose, have some fun, and get a little wacky…and these silly creature heads are just what the doctor ordered. Simple enough for even the youngest artists at our tables, with just the right sprinkling of fun materials (googly eyes and sequins, anyone?!,) these are always a big hit.
Don’t take our word for it; just check out adorable June Julie over there ——-> with her new buddy, Rudy.
- White or Colored Cardstock
- Large Paper Plate
- Masking tape
- Glue Dots
- Acrylic Paint + brushes, markers, colored pencils, or crayons
- Googly eyes, sequins, pompoms, pipe cleaners – optional
- 12 x 12″ colored or patterned Cardstock OR
- Large craft stick, dowel, or paint stick (see Tweak It! section)
- Use a pencil to trace around a large paper plate on the white or colored cardstock. Cut out the circle.
- Draw two lines from the center of the circle to the outer edge. (Hint: it should be the same shape as a slice of pie) Cut out the slice.
- If using white cardstock, use wild paint colors to fill in your circle and allow it to dry. If using colored cardstock, use markers, colored pencils, or crayons to add patterns to your circle.
- Once your circle had been filled with color, bring the straight edges of pie slice together to form a cone. Use tape to secure it from the inside. Add glue dots to close the seam on the outside of the cone.
- Use paper scraps to create extra additions — ears, antlers, hair, accessories — you would like your creature to have.
- Add embellishments — a pompom nose, googly eyes, pipe cleaner whiskers — make your silly creature one-of-a-kind!
- Cut a shield shape from the colored cardstock that will fit your silly creature’s head. The shield can be any symmetrical shape. Decorate this background shape with patterns and embellishments if you wish.
- Attach the your creature head to the shield using tape along the inside.
- Give your silly creature a name and hang him somewhere in your house!
- Make a small mask – instead of mounting the animal head on a sheet of paper, tape a dowel or paint stick to the bottom middle of the mask.
- Make mini creatures! How small can you make a cone to embellish? Make a set of small creatures!